|Multan blast claims 12 lives: Rescue 1122|
| Updated at: 1256 PST, Tuesday, December 08, 2009|
MULTAN: At least 12 people were killed and several others injured in the twin blasts in Qasim Bela area of Multan Cantt near a building of a sensitive agency, Geo News quoted Dr Kaleem of Rescue 1122 Tuesday.
Dr Kaleem said the deceased include eight civilians and four security men.
Rescue teams including 1122, police and other relief teams arrived on the spot. Police put security cordon around the whole area of blast site. Also, a military helicopter is hovering over the area for surveillance.
The injured are being shifted to the nearby hospitals including Nishtar Hospital, Civil Hospital and CMH, where state of emergency has been declared.
According to Geo News correspondent, at least 11 injured including children and women were brought to the Nishtar Hospital.
The blast was so powerful that the windowpanes of the nearby buildings were smashed to pieces. The media is being denied access to the blasts site thanks to the sensitivity of the area.
It should be mentioned that the blast occurred in the constituency of Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani.
According to an eyewitness, he was passing from the area when he heard a low-intensity blast followed by a massive explosion, adding the ISI building was more than half damaged as a result of bombings.
Another eyewitness told Geo News that the gunshots were fired before the blasts.
Some people are feared to be trapped under the rubble of the damaged building.
DIG Arif Ikaram said the blast occurred at 12:10pm in front of a secret agency building, adding he confirmed the killings of at least four people.
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
|Lahore blasts tally mounts to 40, injures 100|
| Updated at: 0037 PST, Tuesday, December 08, 2009|
LAHORE: Forty people were killed and over 100 sustained wounds as two consecutive
blasts ripped through Lahore’s commercial center late on Monday night, Geo news reported.
According to sources, the first blast was a suicide attack while the second was detonated
through remote control device. However, the district administration said that both the blasts
were result of suicide bombing and that the heads of both the bombers have been recovered
from the site of the incident.
The Edhi Welfare Trust sources have put the death toll at 37. On the other hand, CCPO Lahore
Pervez Rathor has confirmed deaths of 30 people in both the attacks. The number of injured is
over 100, he added.
A woman is comforted by a police officers, after a series of explosions in Lahore. Two explosions
through a crowded market in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore on Monday, killed a number
people and left many injured, police said. -AP Photo
Director General Rescue Operation said that 38 people died in the incident while 90 others
Those hurt also included women and children.
The two blasts occurred within seconds of each other at Lahore’s busy Moon Market in Allama Iqbal Town locality here. The first blast took place in the middle of the market while the second one near a private bank.
Fire erupted in the market immediately after the blasts, engulfing a number of shops and motorcycles parked in the nearby parking space.
Attacks as night fell: The scene after the bomb
The powerful blasts also shattered the windowpanes of the surrounding buildings.
Rescue efforts were immediately got underway after the blasts and the bodies and injured persons
were started to be rushed in 1122 ambulances to nearby hospitals where emergency had been
declared shortly after the tragic incident.
Some of the injured persons are said to be critical in condition.
DCO Lahore and heavy police contingents along with high officials reached the spot of the
Moon market is a commercial center of Iqbal Town, Lahore, where shoppers are normally
present in large numbers. A suicide attack had also been launched at a police station in this
area on 13 August last year in which 8 people lost their lives.